Scissor lifts are a type of mobile elevating work platform (MEWP) with criss-cross metal supports that are designed to expand and raise workers and their tools on a platform.
This MEWP is ideal for use in a variety of applications for both indoor and outdoor environments that require vertical lift access. They come in a variety of heights and widths which are well suited for completing tasks such as general maintenance, painting and decorating, and installation, within a range of environments, including factories, warehouses, shopping centres, and offices. Scissor lifts are one of the most popular pieces of equipment on the market as they offer effective solutions that increase productivity, improve safety, and save money.
The Eight benefits as to why you should purchase or hire a scissor lift.
- Versatility: There are models available to suit both indoor and outdoor environments, including those with uneven surfaces. A diesel-powered model can provide the necessary power to operate across rough terrain with robust tyres that can protect against punctures. This versatility makes them suitable for a wide range of applications in warehousing, maintenance, and manufacturing.
- Enhanced Ergonomics: Often, workers must overreach to access high shelving by bending, stretching, and causing back strain. By using a scissor lift, you can reduce the risk of injury and fatigue by minimising movement and improving overall ergonomics, contributing to a safer and healthier work environment.
- Effortless operation: Simple operations and precise controls can give the operator the confidence to manoeuvre the machine in even the tightest of spaces, such as narrow aisles.
- Flexibility: Many scissor lifts offer horizontal reach capabilities, allowing workers to manoeuvre the platform horizontally as well as vertically. This feature enables quick access to specific areas without the need to reposition the lift, enhancing convenience and efficiency.
- Height access: There are a variety of working heights ranging from 4 to 26 metres to allow workers to reach elevated areas safely and efficiently.
- Productivity: Scissor lifts can make it easier for workers to transport heavy products and tools. By having simple controls, workers can quickly position and adjust to the correct height, which reduces the time it takes to complete a task and the preparation for maintenance inspections.
- Safety: They provide a safe and stable platform for workers to conduct work at height tasks by having beneficial safety features such as guardrails equipped on the machine to prevent workplace accidents, falls, injuries, and fatalities.
- Environmental Benefits: Many modern scissor lifts are powered by electric motors, making them an eco-friendly option compared to gas or diesel-powered alternatives. Electric lifts produce zero emissions, reducing the carbon footprint and improving air quality in indoor and sensitive environments.
What training is required?
When operating a scissor lift, employers must ensure that their workers are competent in correctly and safely using and maintaining equipment by completing a training course. On our website, we offer a one-day IPAF training course that specifically covers the safe use of category 3a mobile vertical equipment. This course is suitable for MEWPs such as mobile scissor lifts, stock pickers, vertical mast lifts, magic carpets, and all other mobile vertical MEWPs.
- DOWNLOAD THE HARNESS AWARENESS & USER TRAINING GUIDE
- DOWNLOAD THE HARNESS INSPECTION TRAINING GUIDE
- IPAF MOBILE VERTICAL SCISSOR LIFT CATEGORY 3A TRAINING COURSE
It is important to understand which type of scissor lift is suitable to use before completing a task. There are certain factors you will need to consider during the selection process, such as indoor or outdoor terrain, the weight of your tools and materials, what height you need to reach, and whether the operator has completed their training. By working with HLS, our expert team can transfer their knowledge on the wide range of cost-effective work-at-height equipment and training that can be offered for your site to help employees accomplish their tasks safely, increase retention, and prevent accidents.